Sunday 7 September 2014

A bumper crop of references this weekend.  I heard John Lennon singing on Smooth Radio in Hinckley's Mind Charity shop on Saturday; Wings on R2 in my summerhouse this afternoon.


Peter Prichard

I've read Peter Prichard's obit in yesterday's Times (p76) - the show business agent and Ed Sullivan's eyes and ears in Europe who made the famous Beatles booking that led to a record 73 million Americans tuning in to see them : "The Beatles' sensational performance at Studio 50 on Broadway ... would not have happened but for the cool showbiz acumen of a largely unheralded figure back in London: the agent Peter Prichard.

The Beatles also featured in Daniel Finkelstein's Notebook (p21): "I am reminded of George Harrison's remark about writing Something  and Here Comes the Sun.  He said he hadn't seen himself as a songwriter, "but then I thought, if John and Paul can write, then everyone can write"".

And a few moments ago whilst checking to see if there are any tickets available for Wolf Hall (unsurprisingly, there are not) I saw that there's also a play on about Brain Epstein.



No comments:

Post a Comment