Sunday 4 May 2014

Moore with Lennon & Yoko
I had breakfast in the garden then sat in the sun reading yesterday's news in The Time.  Apparently 91-year old Baroness Trumpington is not a pop fan.  In the Quick Fire section of a two-page interview she's asked "One Direction or The Beatles?" Her answer "I think they're all bloody awful" (p31). 

Jack Henry Moore would probably have chosen the latter.  He died last month. An impresario of avant garde music in Swinging Sixties London, his obituary (p78) highlights his close association with Lennon and Yoko. He had a vast archive of sound and video recordings of the pair and he "hosted Ono's first happening" and helped to produce "The Alchemical Wedding (1968) at the Albert Hall.  Lennon and Oko appeared in a bag...It was intended to make the audience think". I bet it did! I remember seeing a clip of a "bag performance" and finding it ridiculous

Later in the day I turned the radio on and was rewarded with a Beatles Triple  on the Paul O'Grady R2 show(which I nearly missed as I was about to plug the hoover in):  Hey Jude, Hello Goodbye and Let it Be.

No comments:

Post a Comment